Wednesday, February 3, 2010

a fracture

This is cautionary tale about letting your kids go down slides on someone's lap. Yesterday, while taking advantage of some late afternoon sunshine and warmth, we went to the park with my dad. After running around for a while my dad took Natalie down the slide. She was crying almost as soon as she got off of the slide, and we just thought she'd been scared. But after a bit, when she couldn't be calmed, I took her back to the car, and on the way, between sobs, she told me her leg was hurt. After she kept pointing to the same spot, and still could not settle, I called her doctor's and they fit us in as soon as we could get there. The X-rays showed very clearly the buckle fracture in Natalie's right tibia, down near her ankle.

Currently she has a splint on, which seems a lot like a cast to me, but we can take it off if we have too. Tomorrow, if there's not much swelling, we have a morning appointment to get a cast put on it. Natalie says she wants red, so we'll see.

So we skipped gym this morning, (as I think we will continue to for the next who-knows-how-many weeks. ) Instead we crashed storytime at the library to visit with our friends. Natalie says she's "sad" when the other kids do things like jump and run and play, but supposedly she should be able to put some weight on the real cast which will allow her more mobility. We still had fun at storytime and brought home tons of new books to enjoy while she's laid up. I'm also planning some craft projects. So as long as my creativity holds, I think we can keep the kiddo occupied for a while. Maybe the groundhog was right and we won't feel too bad staying indoors for a while.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Oh no! Poor little Natalie! I hope she has fun decorating her cast when she gets it put on.