Friday, May 1, 2009

Boulder's Red Rocks

The weather prediction was not good for Sunday, so we weren't sure we'd be able to get a hike in, but we had the luck of the fairies on our side!  

We prepared Natalie per our usual routine.  Sunscreen is her least favorite part of our outings but it's non-negotiable, (unfortunately I neglect myself in this arena as evidence by my heavily peeling back and shoulders.)  

We started our hike at the Centennial Trailhead, just across the street, (Mapleton) from the Mt. Sanitas trailhead.  I have no idea why I've never taken advantage of this small network of short, beautiful trails, right in downtown Boulder's Historic district!  I guess I didn't know or remember that they were there!  

The trail was pretty easy with lots of options.  We chose to go right up and through the rocks.  Here's my DH with Nat on his back, heading over the little saddle in the rocks - Downtown Boulder right below.  

A little family portrait. 

The trail leading down from the rocks, and my two favorite people.  A beautiful site isn't it?
I kept thinking, this is why we live in Colorado!! 

Here are the red rocks themselves.  Pretty nifty little geological wonder, right there in our own backyard!!  Makes me want to learn more about rocks.  

The trail leads down to Settler's Park and the West end of Pearl Street.  That's where we were heading for lunch.  Notice from the previous picture, the graying sky.  

We made it to Pearl Street before the icy rain fell.  Here's a shot of some of the amazing tulips blooming there right now!!  You should go!

After lunch the same strip of street looked quite a bit different.  A swarm of small (and large) fairies had descended on the mall for a parade and other events.  Luckily, the fairies brought the sun with them.  Below you see the Queen of the Fairies herself.   

Natalie enjoyed all the bustle of the miniature fairies on the mall.  She played with other kids on the stones and checked out the tulips up close, (actually she did a face plant, feet in the air, into the wet dirt, but recovered quite well from the ordeal!)  

On the hike back she wasn't able to keep her eyes open!  


Mom and dad, not able to sleep on the hike back, needed a bit of a pick-me-up before the drive home.  And it was snack time anyway, so why not stop to refuel.  

Natalie enjoyed some orange... 

And some of the slightly less healthy choices her mom made.  In this picture she's working on either a finger full of chocolate frosting, or a bite of oatmeal rasin cookie.  

Either way, I think she enjoyed her full day just as much as her snack.  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

These pics are amazing! It is so cool that you guys are getting out so much, that is what Boulder is for! I'm sad to have missed all the fairies!!! :).

sam said...

I love the hat. :)

These reminds me of how much I miss Boulder!