Friday, March 6, 2009

Is your Mama an Alpaca?

Sweetpea, my mom, and I went to the Alpaca Extravaganza at the Boulder County Fairgrounds last Sunday.  

We got to pet the Alpacas.  



And feed the alpacas.  (The one above, Brio, got some little protein pellets, and the one below, Hickory, got some apple slices).  


But no matter how much we wanted to, we did not get to cuddle the alpacas. They are very shy, and skittish.  They don't like being pet on the head or back, but like it on the neck.  They can't really bite because they don't have top teeth, though their bottom ones are pretty snaggly.  

We also had a chance to peruse some lovely alpaca fiber arts and crafts.  among the expected things like straight alpaca fleece, and more refined yarn, (dyed and natural), there were also knitted, crocheted, felted, and woven items.  And even some more exotic things like alpaca teddy bears, and felted soap.  

And somehow I refrained from buying an alpaca.  If you have some land I could use, I'd like to put a pair of them on it, if you don't mind.  And maybe some goats.  2/$50!  Not bad!  And you wouldn't ever have to mow  your grass again!  

2 comments:

tim said...

When I lived in Gunbarrel, I seriously considered getting a goat (actually a pair, since they're pack animals) to take care of my 1/3 acre back yard.

Robyn said...

You can see in that one picture, the sign that says "weed crew for sale"... two goats for $50! I think that would be so fun!!